Friday, September 15, 2017

Stacy Randolph and Heather Lundien should be in Webb City Athletic Hall of Fame

I am sure I have expressed my opinion before about this (but of course, that won't stop me from doing it again). The latest list of selections for the Webb City Athletic Hall of Fame were announced recently. I am not sure if this was the third or fourth batch, but I have the same complaint each time.

Those who have made the selections have made some excellent choices, some of whom I had the good fortune to see play football or basketball.

(Update, August 24, 2018- Pittman, Randolph among nine inductees to Webb City Athletic Hall of Fame)

When I covered sports for the Carthage Press back in the early 1990s, my primary responsibilities were covering Carthage High School girls basketball and volleyball. If I was not covering a Carthage game, I did a wide range of events ranging from area football, Carthage junior high and ninth grade sports, and area boys and girls basketball.

I saw Coach Tim Doss' Webb City High School girls basketball teams of the early and mid-90s and there is no way that any Athletic Hall of Fame should not have included point guard Stacy Randolph on its first list and her teammate forward Heather Lundien should not have been far behind, if not selected at the same time.


I watched them as they played against Carthage and I also covered about a dozen of their other games over a two-year period, including their spectacular senior season.

The two not only led the Webb City team to the state quarterfinals where it lost to a tough Marshfield team coached by former Jasper Coach Gary Murphy, but Randolph signed a basketball scholarship to the University of Nebraska, later transferring to Pittsburg State University, where she directed the offense, and Lundien received a scholarship to play at Pitt State, where if memory serves me correctly, she started all four years and averaged scoring in double figures.

Any Webb City Athletic Hall of Fame should have included these two outstanding athletes.

That oversight should be corrected next year.

(Photos: Above, Stacy Randolph signs to play for the University of Nebraska. Below, Jasper County Sheriff Randee Kaiser took this 1992 photo of Stacy whose high school career had just ended in Springfield in the state quarterfinals while Marshfield players celebrate their victory.)




















***






5 comments:

  1. I work with Stacy every day and I can attest she gives her all and deserves the recognition

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know there are a lot great athletes, male and female, that belong in hof. And yes, I am her brother! All biased aside, there was no better tandem in WCHS basketball than those two! Stacy was the "quarterback" and Heather was the "muscle". Together, two of the toughest gals to ever play for WCHS!Hands down!

    ReplyDelete